Friday, November 23, 2012

Nanowrimo 6

Forgot to update... derp. That's what turkey does, I suppose. I'll just make a little longer.


Quentin woke with a start as soon as I do. He was lying on the otherwise unoccupied bench, an enormous indentation where his right cheek had slipped through the wooden planks. He checked his watch. Ten o’clock. He bolted upright and sprinted to the apartment. Around this time Samuel would be finishing up a few poems for publication. Samuel had clearly not minded Quentin’s presence. He certainly would not mind the lack thereof.
Quentin got to the apartment to find it as empty as it had always been, though Samuel was not there either. He opened the fridge. There was enough eggs and milk and bok choy to feed Samuel for weeks. There was a huge pile of freshly made paper. But there was no charcoal. There were no poems. And on Samuel’s floor was a ballpoint pen. Quentin picked it up. He didn’t even know Samuel used ballpoint pens. He had seen him bring them to his house by the handful each day, stealing them from random department offices, but he never used them.
Quentin dragged the nub across his thumb. He had used this one. He hurried back to the office.  If he could find charcoal he could find Samuel.

I can’t stop thinking about Froid. I check the bathroom, the kitchen, and within ten seconds it’s clear that she’s not in the apartment. Her phone is still in the bedroom, fully charged and on. I check the screen. No messages. No threats. The phone is as placid as I wish I were. I sit on the bed and rub my temples. I close my eyes. Hopefully I can see where Froid is.

Running. She’s running through a forest. Where? There aren’t any forests around here. The trees are bare and there is heavy snow on ground. She must be on a mountain. But how? How did she get up there so quickly?
Her running dissolves into trudging as the snow grows thicker. It is then that I notice what she’s wearing: a ball gown, a bright coral, full-length hoop skirt and a stiff corset. She breathes heavily. Her hair is done up in a loose bun. She marches dutifully up the side of the mountain, the trees thinning out as the sun shines brighter.
At the top of the hill is the outline of a man dressed in a tuxedo. His hair is brown, but his build is not of a Coldridge. Callahan. He is slouching, his hands over his face. Agony.
Froid runs faster until she comes up to him. He removes his hands from his face and watches her approach.
“Callahan,” she whispers as she reaches for his shoulder.
He jerks it back. His eyes show too much anguish to warrant comfort, especially hers. He hisses at her.
Froid is determined though. She reaches for him again and touches his face. For a moment there is silence. He looks at her in shock, the shock diluting his anger towards her. She looks at his face softening.
But then he begins to scream. Steam escapes through her fingers. She tries to pull her hand away, but it has welded itself to Callahan’s skin.
Callahan screams more, his face turning red, then his neck, then his entire body. Froid finally releases her hand but he bursts into flames. There. In the middle of the forest.
Froid staggers backwards. Callahan writhes against the wind, the little left of him fluttering out from behind his clothing. Froid cannot look away. Her eyes do not stray as Callahan disintegrates into ash.

A dream. Is Froid sleeping somewhere? Or is she projecting a dream so I can’t see where she is? Clever girl. I get dressed and fed and head over to the office. She can’t stay away from me for long. Without me she has nothing. I reassure myself as I drive to the office.
The rest of the day passes slowly. I try switching between Quentin and Froid. Quentin is sitting in Samuel’s empty office, wondering if Samuel went elsewhere, or if he just missed him and he was back at the apartment. Quentin slowly got up and crawled to the door, hesitating briefly before turning the knob and jogging out.
Froid on the other hand is unreadable. All day I get dreams, every dream I’ve seen, playing out as they had before I invaded them. Samuel is everywhere and Froid is destroyed in so many ways that I can’t bear to watch.
By this time Quentin returned to the apartment. Still empty, the ballpoint pen exactly where he left it. Strange. Samuel was nowhere to be found. Quentin ran back to the office as if Samuel were hiding there like a lost watch.
Suddenly in Froid’s mind I see a familiar scene: my apartment. I smile. She did find her way back, no matter where she went. I leave my office and begin my commute home, looking into Froid every now and then. She’s seated on the ottoman and rubbing her feet. Blisters dot her sole. She winces as she pulls her socks off and picks at the loose skin.
That is when the doorknob turned. But it’s not me. I’m still ten blocks from home. I can’t see who it is. Froid’s sight vanishes from my mind.
I check in again on Quentin, who is driving his Prius in neurotic circles between the office and Samuel’s apartment, praying to catch a glimpse of Samuel. But he won’t. It all adds up in my mind like lightning. I step on the gas and run through every red light. I know exactly where Samuel is.
I swing the door wide open and storm into the apartment. Froid is still sitting on the Ottoman, but her blisters are all picked off and she’s bleeding profusely. She’s shaking back and forth, constantly wriggling out of my grasp as I try to sedate her. She hyperventilates until her face goes gray and she slumps over. I set her unconscious body down on the sofa.
The fridge door is open, and I can see someone behind it.
“WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING HERE?” I yell.
He closes the door, a gallon of milk in his hand. My brother.

Quentin the publisher is sitting in the middle of the parking lot in his Prius, gripping the steering wheel and twitching. He’s lost Samuel. He had one task to do and he brazenly failed. He unbuckles his seat belt and unlocks his door. But it won’t budge. He leans on it harder, putting all of his scrawny weight into it. He’s no match for this door. He relocks and unlocks it again and toggles the handle. Nothing. Quentin the publisher blubbers into hysteria. He will have a lifelong phobia of doors now.
That is, if he were to have much more of a life.
The Prius spontaneously combusts in the parking lot. The body of the car flings into every corner of the parking lot as the flames leap passionately into the sky.
This is how Quentin the publisher dies.

Samuel sees the preoccupation in my eyes and catches them drifting towards the door. Once Quentin the publisher is incinerated beyond recognition I turn to look at Froid.
“Am I down a publisher?” he asks me, not a glimmer of intonation in his voice. This is my brother. No accent. Complete monotone. His diction sounds like reading text in one’s head.
I growl at him. “How dare you come here!”
Samuel shrugs his shoulders and sets the gallon down on the table and opens my fridge up again.
“For God’s sake, you just came into my apartment to take my food?”
Samuel says nothing as he takes out a carton of eggs.
I grab his hand and twist it backwards, taking his shoulder with it. He collapses onto the floor but his face betrays no pain. This is my brother. I could stab him in the gut and he wouldn’t react because I’m not stabbing his poetry. I’m just stabbing his body.
“I cannot decline free food,” he finally replies.
“Who says it was free? Get out of here before Froid wakes up.”
He stands up and looks at Froid, a bright white against the ottoman, her arms folded up around her neck. His expression doesn’t change as he turns back to me. As if he didn’t hear me at all he turns back to the fridge to grab some spinach.
I take the carton of eggs and slam it on his head.
“GET OUT! NOW!”
The eggshells float on his black hair as albumen and yolk trickle down his cheeks, his chin, his collarbone. My brother has never done a sport in his life. I rowed crew as an undergrad. Physically I could break every bone in his body, but since I’m not his poetry and nor are his bones, what can I do?
Samuel stands up and faces me. He looks bored. I grab his shoulders and calibrate his gaze so that he looks right into my eyes. He knows what I’m doing and looks over to Froid.
“What is she doing here?”
“None of your business.”
Samuel doesn’t even care that I’m withholding information. He looks back at the milk.
“No. Don’t you dare take it.” I grit my teeth. “Get out. For the last time. Just, leave.”
Samuel stands in front of me until I release my grip on his shoulders. He turns around and grabs the spinach and walks out of my apartment. I’m on the verge of chasing after him and taking back my spinach but I hear Froid let out of a cough.
She wakes up moments later, clutching her throat and scratching the sides of her neck. She won’t slow her breathing, even when I wrap a blanket around her and surround her with my arms.
I try to hush her, telling her that Samuel can’t hurt her, that as long as I’m around he won’t ever bother her. He may be around for whatever reason, but he’ll be gone again as soon as he came—I promise her that I’ll get rid of him—and she has no reason to be afraid of him.
She doesn’t quiet though. She doesn’t speak. She bites her tongue accidentally, and blood colors her front teeth. There’s no blood in her head though. She looks like a corpse. I fear that if she sleeps again she won’t wake up.
I bring her over a glass of water but she won’t drink, and when I force it into her mouth she aspirates it, coughing all over the ottoman and me. She doesn’t apologize. She doesn’t look at me. Her eyes are wide open but she sees nothing. I try to look at her through her point of view but I see nothing. It’s like earlier when Samuel first came.
I’ve lost her. Everything I’ve worked so hard for, everything I’ve done to make her attached, gone. I’m a stranger to her.
“Ambrosia.” I try saying her name again. It feels even more hollow than last time. “It’s okay. I’m here. You don’t need to be afraid. Everything is going to be alright.”
“Luke,” she finally says, her voice harsh and hoarse. “Who exactly is it you think I’m afraid of?”
After Froid goes to bed I survey the damage. In a fit of pique I’ve killed Quentin the publisher. Samuel is in Seattle for whatever reason, and I have no idea when or how he will appear next. I can’t see into Froid’s mind at all anymore. Even when I see her moving her lips as she dreams, gripping her pillow as she sweats, I don’t know which nightmare. I smooth her hair but she doesn’t improve.
I stand at my fridge and take out the guava juice. It’s nearly empty. I assume Froid has been drinking it. I’ll pick some up tomorrow on my way home from work.             After a few hours Froid stops moving. She’s stopped dreaming I suppose. She is so still I think she’s dead until I hear her breath ruffling up the pillowcase. I touch her cheek. Cold. The coldest they’ve ever felt. Colder than my windowpane that has been assaulted with freezing rain for the past couple of hours.
I work a bit in my chair, looking up sparingly to check on Froid. She hasn’t even changed her hand position. Her lips are in the same position as they were the last time I checked on her.
Before long I fall asleep in my chair, an article in my lap. The two of us stay perfectly still for the night. I don’t dream, and as far as I know nor does Froid.


Callahan had marginally finished his finals, so he immediately got into his car and drove up to Maine again. He had heard nothing of Froid; in fact, he had hardly thought about her in between calculus and Camus and trying to write a poem about frogs. None of these endeavors were successful, but he had no time to care about his shortcomings. Right now the only thing that drove him to leave his dorm, eat regularly, and sleep decently was looking at Froid again, the satisfaction in retrieving her from whatever darkness she had immersed herself into.
I wouldn’t classify myself as darkness, though I must admit I am in a sour mood thanks to Samuel’s unwelcome appearance and the subsequent stealing of my groceries. Froid is also void of energy, spending the day alternating between sitting on a bar stool, my chair, and the bed. She doesn’t look up at me. She stares at an invisible wound on her arms. I put my arms around her but she doesn’t see my arms. She only sees her own.
I’m not going to help Callahan on his way up to Maine. If he runs out of gas and remains stranded in a township with a name from the eighteenth century, then so be it. I don’t need another player to lose to Samuel.
Or do I?
With Callahan close to me, I could even the playing field very easily. Callahan would naturally maximize his time with Froid and unwittingly bring her back to me. I don’t care about Callahan going to Samuel. Whoever has Froid wins it all. And at this point Callahan is the best means.
I pick up Froid’s phone. Her contact list is minimal: only me and her home phone. I frown. I wanted to be subtle about this, but I guess it can’t be helped.
Callahan glanced at his phone. He had a text from a number he didn’t recognize.
“This is Froid. I’m in Seattle.”
He nearly crashed his car when he dropped his phone on the mats under his seat. He tried to steer and accelerate on the windy highway and grope for his phone by his feet.
I lead a deer to the road.
Callahan slammed his breaks, thrusting himself into the steering wheel and accidentally honking. The deer scampered away as Callahan looked down and finally grabbed his phone.
“This is Froid. I’m in Seattle.” The message was still there. He pulled over and forwarded the message to Caracolle. She didn’t see the message right away, but Callahan was very aware when she had.
“U better be on ur way!”
“omg get here plz”
“wtf is she doing there?”
“Y R U DRIVING SOOOOO SLOW? :(g
Callahan tried to reply and drive at the same time. It was not successful to the point of being almost fatal. I lead opossums, more deer, and for the finale a bull moose to the road. Callahan felt like he was decimating the wildlife of New Hampshire as he evaded almost each animal. He did hit an opossum. His wheels reeked of opossum entrails for weeks.
That was the first thing Caracolle complained about when Callahan finally rolled into the Starbucks. She then complained at length about her sister and how she was getting fat from all of the mochas she had been drinking on her shifts.
With a hyper-caffeinated Caracolle in the car, Callahan sped to the Froid house. Caracolle was talking and texting simultaneously, and her monologue melded into an indeterminable combination of the two. Callahan drowned her out as he hurried along.
Mallory Froid hadn’t anticipated Callahan’s arrival, but she was more than happy to heat up some seaweed puree to celebrate the assumingly happy occasion. Callahan tried declining, much more out of comfort than politeness, but Mallory insisted. She told him that if he liked the yeast cakes he’d love this.
“They’re not quite as bad as the cakes,” Caracolle whispered to Callahan when her mother skipped off to the kitchen. “Just pretend you’re eating spinach.”
Callahan hated spinach. And he hated the yeast cakes. Mallory returned with a gravy boat full of puree that she poured over some flatbread. She smiled at Callahan expectantly, and Callahan just smiled at Caracolle. Caracolle was texting five people at the same time.
Callahan’s phone buzzed as he put a flatbread-ful of puree in his mouth. He looked at the screen.
“just said it wasn’t AS bad… still tastes like @$$. sry lol”
Callahan agreed. He almost gagged but played it off as a cough. Mallory stood up to get him a glass of water. Callahan spit the rest of the puree out and wrapped it in a napkin. With no wastebasket in the room he had no choice but to put it into his jacket pocket.
            “So you have heard from Ambrosia after all?” Mallory asked as she clamped her palms together. “Ah, good, good! We miss her so very much, don’t we, Hamline?”
            “Of course we do!” Hamline called from the kitchen. Callahan hadn’t even heard him. He came out with a tray of kale ginseng juice.
            “How do you do, Mr. Froid?” Callahan said politely as he stood up to greet him.
            “Please, it’s Hamline. Don’t fuss with titles. We’re all humans here.”
With no warning, Hamline grabbed Callahan and hugged him tightly. Hamline felt the napkin squish into his skin and the puree crawl through his jacket and later his t-shirt.
“I’m glad she’s in Seattle. If she were anywhere else, we’d be worried sick!” Piped up Mallory.
Hamline nodded in accord. “Imagine if she had gone to some barbarian city in the south. Like Nashville or Atlanta or Salt Lake City…” Hamline shuddered. “She’d probably forget that women have the right to vote!”
“Oh, Hamline, don’t say such wretched things. Be grateful for Seattle. Such a center of civilization and culture! Ambrosia sure has good tastes in freedoms. I’m sure she’s thriving in utopia, making her life for herself, calling the shots in her life, becoming a beacon of linguistic evolution like Samuel!”
I assume Froid is exactly as I left her: sitting idly on my bed. I had left for work and told her to stay in the apartment. As a precaution I locked the doors so that Samuel couldn’t walk in again. She acted as though the doors were locked from the inside as well.
Callahan couldn’t imagine Froid having any joy, regardless of where she went. All he could picture was her lying on a bench and practicing making smoke rings. For all he knew, her parents probably knew and just didn’t care about her lifestyle. They just wanted their child to be the greatest artist in the world so they had something to talk about with their other yuppie friends.
But of course, he just felt like making sure. “Has Ambrosia always been… on the sullen side?”
Mallory laughed. “Oh, she was such a serious little child! I remember when she was very little and she had a picture book of artists throughout the ages. All of them geniuses: Poe, Picasso, Van Gogh, Da Vinci… All of them just totally off their rocker. But that’s what gave them inspiration. And if that’s what it means to be an artist, then so be it! It’s done wonders for our little Ambrosia. She won poetry awards all throughout grade school and middle school and high school! We’ve framed all of her poems. Would you like to see?”
Callahan got up with them and examined shadowboxes on the walls that led up the stairs. Each contained a poem of Froid’s from basically toddlerhood to her last months at Murkvein. Each of them was signed by her parents with the age of when Froid created them. They even had her first poem that she had done when she was so young she hardly knew how to write. It looked more like an abstract painting or a finger painting project. There were even craft feathers stuck bluntly on the corners. It was nearly illegible.
“After she made this,” Mallory began, “We told her she had to become a poet. We were just blown away by the genius. The simplicity, organic text that resembles a pictograph. It’s a poem almost without words! It's the bridge between the visual and literary arts. That’s when we got her the picture book about artists.”
They all sat down in the living room again. Mallory and Hamline were beaming with excitement. Callahan didn’t know how to react, but he turned to Caracolle for guidance. She had stayed sitting on the couch and texted relentlessly until she looked up at Callahan. Her expression was so conflicted that Callahan stopped analyzing it after picking out her envy, despair, and smug complacency. Caracolle was much smarter than anyone gave her credit for.
“So, I was planning on going out to Seattle just to visit Ambrosia and make sure everything’s alright. I mean, you do agree with me that her decision was impulsive, and that you were worried when she didn’t come home, right?”
Hamline guffawed, and Callahan was disgusted with how ugly it sounded. “Of course we were worried when we didn’t know where she was, and that was mostly that we didn’t want her to fall prey to those horrible Republicans in the south that think that God wants them to have five wives and that gay people have the same rights as chimpanzees!”
Callahan held his tongue. He was a Republican, as a matter of fact. He was becoming slowly more liberal in college, but these two had effectively killed his desire to become any more so.
Mallory continued, “We’ve gotta hand it to her. She’s being very proactive in seeking a Bohemian lifestyle! But if that’s what it takes for her to become an artist, then so be it. For her to create is of the utmost importance to us.”
“No matter the cost?” Callahan asked pointedly.
They nodded simultaneously. “There is no nobler a deed than to make art. It advances civilization. Every piece of art created moves humanity forward. Our daughter is on the frontier, and so is our dear Samuel!”
“You know that the two broke up, don’t you?”
They nodded again, though they look offended. “Of course we do!” Mallory retorted. “What do you take us for, neglectful parents? She was so torn up about it. She didn’t write for months, but once she started writing again in secret we knew she was okay. What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger, right? What an experience for her to write about. It will only make her a better artist!”
That was when Callahan stood up, took his coat, and walked out the door without saying a word. Caracolle watched him eagerly before running out to meet him at his car.
“See what I have to deal with?!” she nearly shrieked, tossing her hands in the air multiple times. “No one believes me. Everyone thinks my parents are so cool and hip and understanding, but they’ve got their head stuck up their own asses so much that they don’t know shit!”
“Get in,” Callahan said.
“Why?”
“Aren’t you coming with me? I’m going to the airport.”
Caracolle shook her head. “Unlike you, I’ve got to go to school and stuff. Besides, I’m only 16. Wouldn’t that be illegal?”
Callahan sighed. “Whatever. Do you not care about her either?”
Caracolle’s face for the first time since he met her showed grief. “I told you before. I hate her guts, and I hate how much my parents love her more than me. I hate poetry because it doesn’t make sense, I hate Samuel because he thinks he’s not human even though he totally is, and I hate that I’m just thought of as the ditzy version of my sister.”
She was tearing up and had to stop. Callahan didn’t know whether or not to comfort her and tried putting an arm around her. She pushed it away.
“But still… You know how you should totally hate someone but you just can’t? It goes against everything you think, and you have so many reasons to want them to just disappear but at the end of it all you just can’t bring yourself to?”
Callahan nodded. He felt the exact same way about Samuel. Pity I don’t.
Callahan put his arm again around Caracolle. She pushed it away again.
“I’m fine, really. Just go find her. You want to make me feel better? Make sure she’s still the same super artsy weird friendless girl that she’s always been.”
Callahan smiled and got in his car as Caracolle went back inside. He turned the key in the ignition. I kill his engine.
Callahan panicked. He kept twisting the key to no avail, so engrossed in his failure that he failed to see the taxi parked behind him.
The cabby got out of his car and walked over to Callahan’s. He tapped on the window so briskly that Callahan nearly jumped out of his seatbelt. Callahan got out of his car.
“Taxi cab for Callahan Grossherz?” He asked.
“I… didn’t order a taxi.”
“Well, somebody did, to Bangor International Airport. And paid for it too already.”
As Callahan stepped into the taxi I order his plane ticket as well. He got an email on his phone that gives him a confirmation for his flight from Bangor International Airport to Seattle. His reaction was priceless. He dropped his phone on the floor of the taxi and spent a good five minutes trying to look for it.
Within an hour, Callahan went from the Froid’s driveway to sitting on a plane in Economy Plus on the way to Seattle. He was suspicious, obviously, but he had no idea who would do this for him.
In a little stroke of pride I text him directly.

“Hello, Callahan Grossherz. My name is Luke Coldridge. I’m looking forward to meeting you."


All of Murkvein was in mourning because of Quentin the publisher’s untimely death. Callahan kept getting emails from his phone thanks to campus-wide announcements of support groups for those traumatized, and the entire English department promising to cancel the grades people got on the final exam and round everyone’s grade up almost a letter. For Callahan, this meant he was going to get at least an A- in two of his classes. He didn’t care about his grade at all.

I see an article on Google talking about the sudden death of Samuel’s publisher. Apparently his name was Quentin Hoakes. The article also mentions that Samuel is here in Seattle at the University of Washington to do a poetry recital this afternoon. That’s odd. This is the first time he’s ever recited his poetry in person.
I drive on my way home, and public radio has a small article raving about how excited people are to attend this sudden and rare appearance of the poet, and the entire ten minute recital will be broadcast live once it begins.
A few minutes away from my apartment the broadcast starts.

I open the door to my apartment.
“Ambrosia, I’m hungry! Let’s go out to eat, your choice!”
No response. Though I wasn’t expecting anything different. I open the door to my room.
Froid is sleeping in my bed, completely engulfed by covers. I walk over to her and put my hand in the middle of the lump.
Warm. And soft.
I rip off the covers. There’s nothing else there.
Froid is gone, again. I close my eyes, but I can’t see her anywhere.
Could she? No, she couldn’t have. I walk over to her phone, shattered on the tile of the kitchen, the battery leaking and seeping into the porous cement.
Froid. We had a promise, didn’t we? Didn’t I make you promise? I guess I never told you.


No comments:

Post a Comment